FAQs About Neurosurgery & Dr David Oehme
Where does Dr Oehme consult and operate?
Dr Oehme consults and operates at the following hospitals and consulting locations throughout Melbourne:
- St Vincent's Public Hospital in Melbourne (consulting & operating)
- St Vincent's Private Hospital in Melbourne (consulting & operating)
- Keyhole Neurosurgery in Melbourne (consulting & operating)
- St John of God Private Hospital in Berwick (consulting & operating)
- Waverley Private Hospital in Mount Waverley (consulting & operating)
- Eastern Health - Box Hill Public Hospital (consulting only - public clinic)
- Epworth Eastern Hospital in Box Hill (consulting & operating)
- Epworth Hospital in Richmond (operating only)
See our locations page for more detailed information.
What are Dr Oehme's consultation fees?
Please contact Mr Oehme's rooms for detailed information about our consultation fee structure. You will be required to make full payment on the day of your consultation. Eftpos, Credit Card, Cash and Cheque are all acceptable forms of payment. You are entitled to a partial rebate from Medicare for your consultation if you have a valid Medicare card and referral. Pension card holders will receive a discount on the standard consultation fee.
The standard initial consultation fee is $360.00 or $280.00 if you are an aged pensioner. The medicare rebate for an initial consultation is $111.85. The fee for a subsequent review consultation is $250 or $200 if you are an aged pensioner. The medicare rebate for a review consultation is $73.85.
Up front payment on the day of surgery also applies to WorkCover and TAC patients. Patient's are required to claim back from Workcover or TAC themselves. There is no charge for DVA patients.
Patients with private health insurance should note that their health funds do not contribute to consultation fees.
What payment options are available?
Eftpos, Credit Card, Cash and Cheque are all acceptable forms of payment. All consultations fees must be settled on the day of consultation.
Mr Oehme is also happy to accept Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency as payment (ETH, LTC, XRP, NANO, EOS etc). If you wish to pay using cryptocurrency please contact his rooms for further information. The Bitcoin amount will vary with the exchange rate at the time of payment.
Will I get a medicare rebate?
If you have a valid medicare card and a valid referral then you are entitled to a partial rebate for your consultation. The medicare rebate for an initial consultation is $111.85. The medicare rebate for a review consultation is $73.85.
Does Dr Oehme see public patients?
Dr Oehme is not currently seeing new public patients or referrals in his private rooms.
Dr Oehme sees public patients at St Vincent's Public Hospital where he runs a general neurosurgery clinic and a specialised spine clinic. In addition he runs a general neurosurgery clinic at Eastern Health Box Hill Public Hospital.
Dr Oehme has a weekly operating list at St Vincent's Public Hospital in Melbourne where he operates on public patients.
Does Dr Oehme see WorkCover and TAC patients?
No. Dr Oehme is not currently seeing new TAC or Workcover patients in his private rooms. TAC or Workcover patients who have previously been operated by Dr Oehme will continue to be seen.
Please contact Dr Oehme's rooms for more information.
What do I need to bring with me to my consultation?
- A valid referral from a GP or other medical practitioner
- Any MRI, CT, x-rays or other radiology scans. Note it is important that you bring the actual scans on a CD or as hard films. It is not acceptable to bring a report only.
- A list of medications
- Method of payment
If I need an MRI or other scan where will it be done?
Our friendly staff will arrange and book all radiology scans for you. We will always attempt to do this at a location that is convenient.
What hospitals does Dr Oehme operate?
Dr Oehme currently operates at the following hospitals in Melbourne.
- St Vincent's Public Hospital in Melbourne (brain, spine and peripheral nerve surgeries)
- St Vincent's Private Hospital in Melbournem (brain, spine and peripheral nerve surgeries)
- St John of God Private Hospital in Berwick (spine and peripheral nerve surgeries only)
- Waverley Private Hospital in Mount Waverley (peripheral nerve surgeries only)
- Eastern Health - Box Hill Public Hospital (spine and peripheral nerve surgeries only)
- Epworth Hospital in Richmond (brain, spine and peripheral nerve surgeries)
Please note that Dr Oehme does not perform all procedures at all hospitals. Complex brain and spine procedures are typically performed at St Vincent's Public and St Vincent's Private Hospital in Melbourne.
What are Dr Oehme's surgical fees? Is there an out-of-pocket expense for surgery?
Please contact Mr Oehme's rooms for detailed information about his surgical fee structure for private patients. Mr Oehme is an AMA member and fees are generally in line with the AMA schedule of fees. The out-of-pocket expense will depend on the procedure to be undertaken, your health fund and your level of cover. Fees for surgery range from 75% AMA to 100% AMA depending on the complexity of the surgery. Payment is required prior to surgery. As a general rule Mr Oehme no longer participates in "no gap" or "known gap" health fund schemes.
WorkCover and TAC patients require approval of all procedures by the relevant body prior to surgery. There is generally no out-of-pocket expense to the patient following approval.
DVA patients are not subject to out of pocket fees.
Public patients will be operated at St Vincent's Public Hospital and there is no out of pocket charge as this is covered by Medicare.
Self-funded patients will be given a quote for the surgical, anaesthetic, hospital and equipment costs prior to surgery.
Informed financial consent will be obtained from all patients prior to your procedure.
Is parking available?
Yes. Parking is available a St Vincent's Public and Private hospitals and all of Dr Oehme's consulting locations. Please visit our location page or click on the following links for more information:
- St Vincent's Public Hospital in Melbourne
- St Vincent's Private Hospital in Melbourne
- St John of God Private Hospital in Berwick
- Waverley Private Hospital in Mount Waverley
- Eastern Health - Box Hill Public Hospital
- Epworth Hospital in Richmond
Is disabled and wheelchair access available?
Yes. All of Dr Oehme'e consulting locations have ramp and elevator access. See our locations page for more information.
Does Dr Oehme do phone consultations or telehealth?
Yes. Dr Oehme is happy to arrange a suitable time for a phone or telehealth consultation. Medicare reimbursement will depend on if you resided in a telehealth eligible region. Contact our staff to arrange a telehealth consult.
Does Dr Oehme provide medicolegal services?
Yes. Dr Oehme regularly provides expert medicolegal advice and reports. For more information please contact his rooms.