Neurosurgeon, Spine Surgeon & Researcher
Published & Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
Dr Oehme is dedicated to both clinical and basic science research and was awarded his PhD in 2014. His research interests are in degenerative diseases of the spine and the use of stem cell and other novel biotechnologies to repair degenerate intervertebral discs. He is considered an expert in the field and applies his scientific understanding of spine and disc degeneration to all of his patients.
Dr Oehme has won the prestigious Peter Leech research prize on two occasions, and has also been awarded numerous other scholarships and awards based on of his contribution to research. Presenting his research all over the world including the USA, Europe, Asia and New Zealand, Dr Oehme has also published widely in peer reviewed journals, including the Journal of Neurosurgery.
A selection of Dr Oehme's published scientific journal articles are available for viewing below.
In addition you can view Dr Oehme's profile on Researchgate or view his detailed CV here for more publications.
- Daly CD, Ghosh P, Zannettino ACW, Badal T, Shimmon R, Jenkin G, Oehme D, Jain K, Sher I, Vais A, Cohen C, Chandra RV, Goldschlager T. Mesenchymal progenitor cells primed with pentosan polysulfate promote lumbar intervertebral disc regeneration in an ovine model of microdiscectomy. Spine J. October 2017. doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2017.10.008
- Lim K-Z, Daly CD, Ghosh P, Jenkin G, Oehme D, Cooper-White J, et al. Ovine Lumbar Intervertebral Disc Degeneration Model Utilizing a Lateral Retroperitoneal Drill Bit Injury. J Vis Exp. 2017 May 25;(123).
- Daly C, Ghosh P, Jenkin G, Oehme D, Goldschlager T. A Review of Animal Models of Intervertebral Disc Degeneration: Pathophysiology, Regeneration, and Translation to the Clinic. Biomed Res Int 2016;2016(3):5952165–14.
- David Oehme, Peter Ghosh, S. Shimmon, J. Wu, C. McDonald, J, Troupis, Tony Goldschlager, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Reconstitution of degenerated ovine lumbar discs by STRO-3-positive allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells combined with pentosan polysulfate. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine Jan 2016.
- Chris Daly, Peter Ghosh, Graham Jenkin, David Oehme, Tony Goldschlager.A Review of Animal Models of Intervertebral Disc Degeneration: Pathophysiology, Regeneration, and Translation to the Clinic," BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, Article ID 5952165, 14 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/5952165
- David Oehme, Peter Ghosh, Tony Goldschlager, Susan Shimmon, Jiehua Wu, Stephen Stuckey, Mark Williamson, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Radiological, morphological, histological and biochemical changes of lumbar discs in an animal model of disc degeneration suitable for evaluating the potential regenerative capacity of novel biological agents. J Tissue Science & Engineering 2015 6:2.
- David Oehme, Tony Goldschlager, Peter Ghosh, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Cell-Based Therapies Used to Treat Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease: A Systematic Review of Animal Studies and Human Clinical Trials. Stem Cells International, 2015. Vol 2015 p. 956031
- Yap, Kiryu, Oehme, David, Han, Tiew. Images in Neuroscience: Headache, dysphasia and a left temporal lobe mass. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. Accepted 2015. In press.
- Courtney A McDonald, David Oehme, Yen Pham, Kilian Kelly, Silviu Itescu, Anne Gibbon and Graham Jenkin. Evaluation of the safety and tolerability of a high dose intravenous infusion of allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells. Cytotherapy, 2015. Vol. 17(9) pp 1178-1187.
- David Oehme, Tony Goldschlager, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Peter Ghosh, Graham Jenkin. The role of stem cell therapies in degenerative lumbar spine disease: a review. Neurosurgical Reviews. 2015 vol. 38 (3) pp. 429–445.
- Charles Handley, Tony Goldschlager, David Oehme, Peter Ghosh and Graham Jenkin. Mesenchymal Stem Cell Tracking in the Intervertebral Disc. World Journal of Stem Cells. 2015 7(1):65-74.
- David Oehme, Peter Ghosh, Susan Shimmon, Jiehua Wu, Courtney McDonald, John Troupis, Tony Goldschlager, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Mesenchymal progenitor cells combined with pentosan polysulfate can mediate disc regeneration at the time of microdiscectomy. A preliminary study in an ovine model. Journal of Neurosurgery Spine 2014 vol 20 (6) page 657-669.
- David Oehme, Tony Goldschlager, Peter Ghosh, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Concern over the use of recombinant bone morphogenetic protein in spinal fusion surgery. Are stem cells and alternative? ANZ Journal of Surgery 2014 vol. 84(8) 302-303.
- Tony Goldschlager, David Oehme, Peter Ghosh, Andrew Zannettino, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Graham Jenkin. Current and future applications for stem cell therapies in spine surgery. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013; 8(5) 381-393.
- David Oehme, Tony Goldschlager, Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld, Andrew Danks, Peter Ghosh, Anne Gibbon, Graham Jenkin. Lateral surgical approach to lumbar intervertebral discs in an ovine model. ScientificWorldJournal, 2012. Vol 2012. p. 873726.
- Oehme, D, Madan, A, Rosenfeld, J.V. Headache, Collapse and Coma. Deep Cerebral Venous Sinus Thrombosis. J of Clin Neurosci 2011 Jul;18(7):946
Selection of Published Journal Articles